Thursday, May 12, 2016

Introducing Colin

Hi everyone! My name is 2/C Colin Hackbarth from Cedarburg, Wisconsin. Since I was quite young, weather has fascinated me, especially thunderstorms and tornadoes. Growing up, I would always get super excited whenever a thunderstorm rolled through my town, and would run outside and watch the lightning and listen to the thunder until my mom called me back into the house so I wouldn't get struck by lightning! When I got older, I joined my local fire department as an Explorer and later an EMT, and would fly down to the fire station whenever a severe thunderstorm warning was issued so I could hop on a fire truck to respond to any lightning strikes, or stay at the station to spot for tornadoes.

When I got to the Academy, I learned that oceanography majors had the opportunity to go storm chasing in the spring, and at that point I knew I had to major in oceanography. I was ecstatic when I found out I was selected for SWIFT, and I'm looking forward to seeing some tornadoes, learning a ton about severe weather, tornado formation and prediction, and making some awesome memories with the other Midshipmen and professors over the next two weeks!




No comments:

Post a Comment