Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Keely's Closing Thoughts

Chasing last year was so thrilling, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to do it again. The adrenaline of chasing is so unexpected, but being able to see the sky turn from a calm blue into a turbulent gray-green is unmatched. Although the tornado count was low and the season overall was slow, I still learned new things every day. I continue to be fascinated by the unexpected wonders of the atmosphere. Hiking the Palo Duro Canyon made me realize just how much I'm missing just a few miles from home. Climbing the rock fall at Wichita Mountain in Oklahoma opened my eyes to how uncoordinated I am and deepened my hatred for mosquitoes.

Having taken a few more courses in meteorology, including atmospheric thermodynamics and synoptic meteorology, I felt like SWIFT was a culminating event, reinforcing more of the concepts I studied in class. Vising the 15th Operational Weather Squadron did not feel like a repeat because of how much more I learned this year. the SPC visit also felt like a new experience because of how fascinating it is to be in the center of severe weather forecasting.

The unnatural color of the clouds during severe weather is truly my favorite part. Photos are unable to capture the feeling of standing in the middle of a field with turbulent skies overhead with wind on all sides. SWIFT continues to be my favorite opportunity offered by USNA, and I hope to be able to chase again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment