Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Jordan's Final Thoughts



SWIFT 2018 was an experience that fostered learning in a fun, positive environment. Being able to directly take what I learned in the spring semester and apply it to the field was a gratifying feeling that I will not soon forget. Despite only seeing one tornado the entire trip, morale was relatively high throughout the entire experience. I thoroughly enjoyed developing relationships with the other members of the team and working as one unit. The days were long and could sometimes be disappointing because we did not always see much, but the positivity of the entire group made SWIFT a great internship to be on.

Not only did what we learn in the field reinforce what we learned in the classroom, we also dove into topics that we did not have time for during the academic year. I have a whole new appreciation for meteorologists because I now have a deeper understanding of the work that goes into forecasting. Meteorology is complex and requires accuracy and attention to detail. By developing a weather discussion on almost a daily basis, touring the 15th Operational Weather Squadron, and touring the NOAA Storm Prediction Center, I figured out very quickly the amount of work that goes into forecasting. I love that I can now look outside and have a fundamental understanding about what meteorological processes are taking place. SWIFT is an amazing internship that I would recommend to anyone!

-J.J. Neal
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting

No comments:

Post a Comment