Friday, May 24, 2019

Jeremy's Closing Thoughts


                As a studying mechanical engineer, I never thought my undergrad would include an opportunity to chase tornadoes across the Midwest through the Oceanography Department. The two subjects have little in common and aren’t particularly applicable to each other. SWIFT however allowed me to experience a natural phenomenon and a few weeks of training that I’m sure I will never forget.

                I think one of the experiences I will remember most is the moment the goal was achieved the first time and we saw the first bunch of tornadoes. I will never be able to see a tornado for the first time again.


                The other moment I will remember is the moment that I realized the one of the tornadoes we had been watching had hit a small town called Jay, Oklahoma. Initial reports indicate that while there were no injuries, a few houses were destroyed and the town was left without power. While I’m thankful no one was hurt, I didn’t know that at first. The moment I realized the tornado we had been watching had gone right through a town, and there were indications of damage, my stomach sank. I’m sure I will remember that moment not because it is particularly interesting or uncommon in storm chasing, but because of the reminder that something we view as positive can be viewed drastically different by someone else.


                I’d like to thank the USNA STEM program, the Oceanography Department, LCDR Burich, Prof Barrett, and the other SWIFTers for the opportunity to participate in and have fun on this educational training. Overall, I enjoyed everything from watching Game of Thrones for the first time to nearly dying by dumb drivers. It wasn’t the tornadoes that made the training fun. It was the people.

Till next time, I bid you farewell with an old Irish blessing I learned in high school choir:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

-Jeremy


No comments:

Post a Comment