Thursday, May 23, 2019

Madison's Closing Thoughts

Well gang, as the 2019 SWIFT Team's adventures come to a close, I have a few thoughts I would like to share with you:

1. Storm chasing is pretty awesome but it is most definitely not an exact science. After having the entire semester to prep my academic knowledge, I had a small grasp of just how complex the tornadogenesis process was and how difficult it can be to forecast these monstrous events, but when in the field...I was still surprised at how complex the forecasting is! This first-hand experience made me realize how hard organizations such as the SPC and NWS work to provide the most accurate information and that I need to cut them some more slack when things don't pan out exactly as planned. Quite frankly, there are always going to be things that are outside of human predictability. Also, prepping to chase tornadoes should take a lot of time if you are doing it correctly. Not only should the SPC outlook be a guidance, but researching each parameter on your own is a must if you want to be successful in your chase. This requires a lot of patience and diligence, and I have a newfound respect for people who chase as part of their careers.

2. Chasing is something that needs to be taken very seriously, especially when chasing tornadoes. Technology has made it very easy for a lot of people to gain access to the tools needed to chase storms, but that doesn't mean they have the understanding to do so. We were very fortunate to have our two professors who have the experience needed to make our chases safe and educational, but if not, we definitely would have put ourselves and others in danger if it was just us students on the road. One of the most surprising things to me about this trip was the sheer number of chasers out on the road during a storm. At one point, while in a heavy precipitation core we were stuck in a traffic jam of storm chasers, even following some yahoo without any taillights on in a pitch black sky and heavy rain. It was clear that out of the mass of people out there that quite a few of them did not know what they were doing, and by doing so they were putting themselves and others in danger. My strong recommendation for those interested in chasing is to find an experienced professional to go with first, until you yourself have the experience to go on your own.
3. Having a good team makes all the difference. Part of being a weather enthusiast is spending a lot of time on the road...in a car...with the same people...for hours on end...you get the picture. But having the right people with you makes the time fly by and helps you enjoy almost every minute of it. I am thankful for the people I went on this adventure with because without them, I would have missed out on the unique senses of humor, sassy comments, and amazing eyes of my fellow teammates (a special shoutout to Tyler and Jeremy for the sweet photos from this trip). I will miss everyone as I embark on my other summer trainings, but I will fondly remember the time we spent together on the road in pursuit of the perfect storm. 




Thanks for following along with us on this amazing journey!

Happy Trails, 

Madison



No comments:

Post a Comment