Monday, May 30, 2022

Thomas - Closing Thoughts

Good morning SWIFT readers, 

What an experience the last two weeks have been. Looking back, I've certainly gained a new appreciation for the beauty and power of supercells and tornadoes. The first couple days were a bit of a whirlwind. We were excited, almost giddy, to be starting the trip. Those first few meals together were filled with eager conversations about model products and SPC outlooks; where we should position ourselves the next day and what could end up failing. We focused hard on the weather briefs to give ourselves the most accurate information possible, and left the hotel with a spring in our steps and a sparkle in our eyes, ready to chase. 

Those early days were a grind. We drove for long distances in the van, listening to music, playing games, and of course pouring over model products and incessantly refreshing the SPC website. I won't forget the feeling of that first chase on Day 4 - we were gunning pretty hard to the west when all of a sudden storms came up on radar to the north. I was driving, and I got such a rush when my navigator told me to turn right down the next country road I could find - it was on! That feeling stuck with me every time we got into a chase, no matter what role I had that day. I think that's one of the most interesting parts of chasing. We know that there is a low chance that we see a tornado, or even the beautiful structure of a supercell - but our hearts start racing nonetheless for the hope that we do get to witness such power and beauty in the environment. But what stands out to me even more is the juxtaposition of that beauty with the destruction that can come with it. From the Joplin memorial on Day 2, to the Gaylord tornado that we missed on Day 7, there was always the underlying threat of something terrible happening in the beauty that we were out there searching for. It underscores the need for more research in early warning systems and really diving into why a supercell becomes tornadic in order to warn people more effectively and ultimately save lives. 

I think the trip really started to come into fruition the moment we stepped outside the western wear store that Ryan bought his hat in. All of a sudden there were towering cumulus all around us, and once again the chase was on. That day and the next day of chasing were the cherries on top of an already awesome trip. We worked incredibly well as a team to put ourselves in position to perfectly see the storms and witness some pretty awesome displays from the atmosphere. That's what we came to see, and after a couple days of running hard, we were rewarded with great vistas. 

223.jpg

I'll be reflecting a lot about this trip in the next few weeks, thinking about the good times that we had together as a group and the awesome scenes that we were able to experience. The friendship, mentorship, and knowledge gained over the last two weeks has been so rewarding. A huge thank you to our two officer leads, the STEM department, and the other five mids that I got to experience the last two weeks with. 

Well, I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet
Had my head stoved in, but I'm still on my feet
And I'm still, willin'

No comments:

Post a Comment