Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Introducing Carman

Hey Guys!
I'm back!
I am Midshipman 1/C Carman Arnold from Oklahoma City, OK. I am 24 years old and I hope to select Naval Pilot in November! This will be my second time on SWIFT and I hope to teach all that I know to the incoming Midshipmen.
Growing up in Oklahoma forced me to become accustomed to severe weather and tornadoes. As I started getting older, I became more and more interested in severe weather. My friend's dad would occasionally take us along for some unofficial storm chasing and see what kind of trouble we could get into. I'll admit, it was obviously not the best of ideas but it caught my attention. When I became old enough to drive, I started chasing on my own. At first, it was the adrenaline rush that hooked me, but then I started to become fascinated by how severe weather and especially tornadoes actually worked!
I have seen numerous tornadoes that I have either chased, watched or been chased by. I have been in two tornadoes and have luckily never been seriously hurt. Unfortunately, I have also seen the damage tornadoes and even straight line winds can cause. Most of my chases always end in helping the victims and volunteering any time I have to clean and rebuild. The good side of storm chasing is knowing that someday you can make a difference by creating an earlier warning system or even knowing ahead of time where exactly the tornado will go and what time. As much as I like surprises, the unpredictability of these things when it comes to tornadoes is crazy. I hope to one day be a professional tornado hunter/ storm chaser when I am not serving in the Navy.
I took a particular desire to be an Oceanography major when I was a Plebe because of meteorology. Not only do I want to learn more about weather and climate in general to help with my future career in aviation, but I also want to solve the mysteries we still don't understand about severe weather and tornadoes. I look forward to learning more about how to predict severe weather and taking a leadership role among the SWIFT team this year. As always, I am also prepared to spend time in helping those affected by the weather, wherever we may be.
I am excited to learn more about everyone on the team this year and have some exciting and memorable times once again. I will be using 2 different GoPros this year along with my phone to help get a few of the moments we share together once again.
Don't forget to follow us on FaceBook: USNA SWIFT
We will go LIVE a few times so stay posted!
It's gonna be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment